Monday, September 2, 2013

No.19


TIME OF ROSES
Thomas Hood 1798-1845

    It was not in the Winter
        Our loving lot was cast;
    It was the time of roses -        
We pluck'd them as we pass'd!

    That churlish season never frown'd
        On early lovers yet:
    O no - the world was newly crown'd
        With flowers when first we met!

    'Twas twilight, and I bade you go,
        But still you held me fast;
    It was the time of roses -        
We pluck'd them as we pass'd!

-o0o-

ALL IN THE DOWNS
Tom Hood (The Younger) 1835-1874
 

I would I had something to do - or to think!
Or something to read, or to write!
I am rapidly verging on Lunacy’s brink,
Or I shall be dead before night.

In my ears has been ringing and droning all day,
Without ever a stop or a change,
That poem of Tennyson’s - heart-cheering lay! -
Of the Moated Monotonous Grange!

The stripes in the carpet and paper alike
I have counted, and counted all through.
And now I’ve a fervid ambition to strike
Out some path of wild pleasure that’s new.

They say if a number you count, and re-count,
That the time imperceptibly goes: -
Ah, I wish - how I wish! - I’d ne’er learnt the amount
Of my aggregate fingers and toes.

“Enjoyment is fleeting,” the proverbs all say,
“Even that, which it feeds upon, fails.”
I’ve arrived at the truth of the saying today,
By devouring the whole of my nails. 

I have numbered the minutes, so heavy and slow,
Till of that dissipation I tire.
And as for exciting amusements - you know
One can’t ALWAYS be stirring the fire!

-o0o-

SWEET GARDEN-ORCHARD
William Wordsworth 1770-1850

Sweet Garden-orchard! of all spots that are
The loveliest surely man hath ever found.
Farewell! we leave thee to heaven's peaceful care.
Thee and the cottage which thou dost surround -

Dear Spot! whom we have watched with tender heed,
Bringing thee chosen plants and blossoms blown
Among the distant mountains, flower and weed
Which thou hast taken to thee as thy own -

O happy Garden! loved for hours of sleep,
O quiet Garden! loved for waking hours.
For soft half-slumbers that did gently steep
Our spirits, carrying with them dreams of flowers.

-o0o-

A FINE ROMANCE
Dorothy Fields/Jerome Kern
 

A fine romance with no kisses,
A fine romance, my friend, this is,
We should be like a couple of hot tomatoes,
But you're as cold as yesterday's mashed po-tah-toes.

A fine romance, you won't nestle,
A fine romance, you won't even wrestle,
You've never mussed the crease in my blue serge pants,
You never take a chance, this is a fine romance.

A fine romance, my good fellow,
You take romance, I'll take jello,
You're calmer than the seals in the Arctic Ocean,
At least they flap their fins to express emotion.

A fine romance, my dear Duchess,
Two old fogies, we really need crutches,
You're just as hard to land as the Ile de France!
I haven't got a chance, this is a fine romance.

A fine romance, my good woman,
My strong, aged-in-the-wood woman,
You never give those orchids I send a glance,
They're just like cactus plants,
This is a fine romance.

MORE POETRY NEXT MONDAY
BLOG NEWS - "The Eternal Venus" will have shown 180 paintings by Friday and will come to an end then. "My Own Selection of Pre-Raphaelite Paintings" which ran from June 2010 to June 2011 returns on Saturday 7th with a new title "My Own Selection of British Art of the 19th Century" but using the same address - http://myownselection.blogspot.com
-o0o-

No comments:

Post a Comment