Monday, August 12, 2013

No.16

BEAUTIFUL DREAMER
Stephen Foster 1826-1864

Beautiful dreamer, wake unto me,
Starlight and dewdrops are waiting for thee;
Sounds of the rude world, heard in the day,
Lulled by the moonlight have all passed away!

Beautiful dreamer, queen of my song,
List while I woo thee with soft melody;
Gone are the cares of life's busy throng,
Beautiful dreamer, awake unto me!

Beautiful dreamer, out on the sea
Mermaids are chanting the wild lorelie;
Over the streamlet vapours are borne,
Waiting to fade at the bright coming morn.

Beautiful dreamer, beam on my heart,
E'en as the morn on the streamlet and sea;
Then will all clouds of sorrow depart,
Beautiful dreamer, awake unto me!

-o0o-

ADLESTROP
Edward Thomas 1878-1917

Yes, I remember Adlestrop -
The name, because one afternoon
Of heat the express-train drew up there
Unwontedly. It was late June.

The steam hissed. Someone cleared his throat.
No one left and no one came
On the bare platform. What I saw
Was Adlestrop - only the name

And willows, willow-herb, and grass,
And meadowsweet, and haycocks dry,
No whit less still and lonely fair
Than the high cloudlets in the sky.

And for that minute a blackbird sang
Close by, and round him, mistier,
Farther and farther, all the birds
Of Oxfordshire and Gloucestershire.

-o0o-

UPHILL
Christina Georgina Rossetti 1830–1894

Does the road wind uphill all the way?
Yes, to the very end.
Will the day's journey take the whole long day?
From morn to night, my friend.

But is there for the night a resting-place?
A roof for when the slow, dark hours begin.
May not the darkness hide it from my face?
You cannot miss that inn.

Shall I meet other wayfarers at night?
Those who have gone before.
Then must I knock, or call when just in sight?
They will not keep you waiting at that door.

Shall I find comfort, travel-sore and weak?
Of labour you shall find the sum.
Will there be beds for me and all who seek?
Yea, beds for all who come.

-o0o-

I’LL NEVER USE TOBACCO
Anon, from The Temperance Orator and Reciter 19th cent

“I’ll never use tobacco, no,
It is a filthy weed!
I’ll never put it in my mouth,”
Said little Robert Reid.

“Why, there was idle Jerry Jones,
As dirty as a pig,
Who smoked when only ten years old,
And thought it made him big.

“He’d puff along the open street,
As if he had no shame;
He’s sit beside the tavern-door,
And there he’d do the same.

“He spent his time and money too,
And made his mother sad,
She feared a worthless man would come
From such a worthless lad.

“Oh no, I’ll never smoke or chew,
‘Tis very wrong indeed,
It hurts the health, it makes bad breath,”
Said little Robert Reid.

-o0o-

MORE POEMS NEXT MONDAY

No comments:

Post a Comment