Monday, July 29, 2013

No.14

THE GREENWOOD SIDE
John Clare 1793-1864

I wandered down a green wood side
On Sunday noon in spring,
Where little birds their dwellings hide
And Thrushes sweetly sing,
The moss so green round Hazel roots,
The Primrose by its side,
That in its brimstone livery shoots
In bunches far and wide.

Oh there I met a pretty maid
The fairest of her kind,
She stood beneath the Hazels shade
Where lightly blew the wind.
I gave her cheek a hearty smack
As leaning on her neck
Her soft hair trailed adown her back
Without a mark or Speck,

Within the dyke the bullrush grew
Although the place was dry,
And Thrushes nest wi’ Eggs o' blue
Did on the hedge ribs lye.
The Woodbines in green leaves look'd wan,
The Bluebell stooped i' pride,
And there I claspt my bonny Ann
Along the greenwood side.

Oh bonny Ann, Oh bonny Ann,
What makes you look so fair,
Is it the love for some fond man
Or is't for none you care.
My love to thee my bonny Ann
Where primrose blooms wi’ pride,
I’ll talk and please thee all I can
Down by the greenwood side.

-o0o-

LAZY BONES
Johnny Mercer 1909-76 

Long as there is chicken gravy on your rice,
Ev'rything is nice.
Long as there's watermelon on the vine,
Ev'rything is fine.
You got no time to work,
You got no time to play,
Busy doin' nothin' all the live long day.
You won't ever change no matter what I say,
You're just made that way.

Lazybones, sleepin' in the sun,
How you 'spec' to get your day's work
done?
Never get your day's work done,
Sleepin' in the noonday sun.
Lazybones, sleepin' in the shade,
How you 'spec' to get your corn meal
made?
Never get your corn meal made
Sleepin' in the evenin' shade.

When 'taters need sprayin',
I bet you keep prayin'
The bugs fall off the vine
And when you go fishin'
I bet you keep wishin'
The fish won't grab at your line.

Lazybones, loafin' thru' the day,
How you spec to make a dime that way?
Never make a dime that way
(Well looky here)
He never heard a word I say!

-o0o-

THE STAR
Jane Taylor 1783–1824

Twinkle, twinkle, little star,
How I wonder what you are.
Up above the world so high,
Like a diamond in the sky.

When the blazing sun is gone,
When he nothing shines upon,
Then you show your little light,
Twinkle, twinkle, all the night.

Then the traveller in the dark,
Thanks you for your tiny spark,
He could not see which way to go,
If you did not twinkle so.

In the dark blue sky you keep,
And often through my curtains peep,
For you never shut your eye,
Till the sun is in the sky.

Twinkle, twinkle, little star.
How I wonder what you are.
Up above the world so high,
Like a diamond in the sky.
Twinkle, twinkle, little star.

-o0o-

A CURE FOR HAVING DRUNK MUCH
Alexis c350BC
 
Last evening you were drinking deep,
So now your head aches, go to sleep;
Take boiled cabbage when you wake,
And there's the end of your headache.

-o0o-

Now online
OH WHAT A PICTURE
updated every week-end

-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-

No comments:

Post a Comment