Monday, June 24, 2013

-o=0=o-

ALL’S WELL THAT ENDS WELL
Anon 18th century

A friend of mine was married to a scold,
To me he came and all his troubles told.
Said he, “She’s like a woman raving mad.”
“Alas, my friend” said I, “that’s very bad.”
“No, not so bad,” said he, “for with her, true,
I had both house and land, and money too.”

“That was well,” said I;
“No, not so well,” said he;
“For I and her own brother
Went to law with one another;
I was cast, the suit was lost,
And every penny went to pay the cost.”

“That was bad,” said I;
“No, not so bad,” said he;
“For we agreed that I the house should keep,
And give to me four score of Yorkshire sheep,
All fat and fine and fair, they were to be.”
“Well then,” said I, “sure that was well for thee?”

“No, not so well,” said he,
“For though the sheep I got, every one died of the rot.”
“That was bad,” said I;
“No, not so bad,” said he,
“For I had thought to scrape the fat,
And keep it in an oaken vat,
Then into tallow melt for winter store.”
“Well then,” said I, “That’s better than before.”

“Twas not so well,” said he,
“For having got a clumsy fellow
To scrape the fat and melt the tallow,
Into the melting fat the fire catches,
And, like brimstone matches,
Burnt my house to ashes.
“That WAS bad,” said I;
“No, not so bad,” said he, “for what is best,
My scolding wife got burnt up with the rest!”

-o=0=o-

BEN LOMOND
Thomas Campbell 1777-1844

Hadst thou a genius on thy peak,
What tales, white-headed Ben,
Could'st thou of ancient ages speak,
That mock th' historian's pen!

Thy long duration makes our lives
Seem but so many hours;
And likens, to the bees' frail hives,
Our most stupendous towers.

Temples and towers thou seest begun,
New creeds, new conquerers sway;
And, like their shadows in the sun,
Hast seen them swept away.

Thy steadfast summit, heaven-allied
(Unlike life's little span),
Looks down a mentor on the pride
Of perishable man.

-o=0=o-

THAT LOVELY WEEKEND
Moira Heath and Ted Heath
[Ted Heath 1902-69 the dance band leader]

I haven't said thanks for that lovely weekend,
Those two days of heaven you helped me spend,
The thrill of your kiss as you stepped off the train
The smile in your eyes like the sun after rain.

To mark the occasion we went out to dine,
Remember the laughter, the music, the wine;
That drive in the taxi when midnight had flown,
Then breakfast next morning, just we two alone.

You had to go, the time was too short,
We both had so much to say;
Your kit to be packed, the train to be caught,
Sorry I cried but I just felt that way.

And now you have gone, dear, this letter I pen;
My heart travels with you till we meet again.
Keep smiling, my darling, and someday we'll spend
A lifetime as sweet as that lovely weekend.

-o=0=o-

WHEN I WAS FAIR AND YOUNG
att.Queen Elizabeth I 1533-1603

When I was fair and young, then favour graced me.
Of many was I sought their mistress for to be,
But I did scorn them all and answered them therefore:
Go, go, go, seek some other where, importune me no more.

How many weeping eyes I made to pine in woe,
How many sighing hearts I have not skill to show,
But I the prouder grew and still this spake therefore:
Go, go, go, seek some other where, importune me no more.

Then spake fair Venus' son, that brave victorious boy,
Saying: You dainty dame, for that you be so coy,
I will so pluck your plumes as you shall say no more:
Go, go, go, seek some other where, importune me no more.

As soon as he had said, such change grew in my breast
That neither night nor day I could take any rest.
Wherefore I did repent that I had said before:
Go, go, go, seek some other where, importune me no more.

-o=0=o-

BLOG NEWS
The GALLERY OF COUNTRY GIRLS blog, which came to an end last week, is being replaced by AMERICAN ART OF THE 19TH CENTURY; the first post will be on Monday 1st July.
http://americanartofthe19thcent.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment