Monday, June 10, 2013

-o=0=o-

ALL THE THINGS YOU ARE
Oscar Hammerstein II 1895-1960

Time and again I've longed for adventure,
Something to make my heart beat the faster.
What did I long for? I never really knew.
Finding your love I've found my adventure,
Touching your hand, my heart beats the faster,
All that I want in all of this world is you.

You are the promised kiss of springtime
That makes the lonely winter seem long.
You are the breathless hush of evening
That trembles on the brink of a lovely song.

You are the angel glow that lights a star,
The dearest things I know are what you are.
Some day my happy arms will hold you,
And some day I'll know that moment divine,
When all the things you are, are mine!

-o=0=o-

FROM A CARRIAGE WINDOW
Alexander Anderson 1845-1909

Just a peep from a carriage window,
As we stood for a moment still,
Just one look - and no more - till the engine
Gave a whistle sharp and shrill.

But I saw in that moment the heather,
That lay like a purple sheet
On the hills that watch o’er the hamlet
That sleeps like a child at their feet.

O, sweet are those hills when the winter
Flings round them his mantle of snow,
And sweet when the sunshine of summer
Sets their fair green bosoms aglow.

But sweeter and grander in autumn,
When the winds are soft with desire,
When the buds of the heather take blossom,
And run to their summits like fire.

I saw each and all through the heather
That purple lay spread like a sheet
On the hills that watch over the hamlet,
That sleeps like a child at their feet.

-o=0=o-

TO A BUTTERFLY
William Wordsworth 1770-1850

I’ve watched you now a full half-hour;
Self-poised upon that yellow flower
And, little Butterfly! Indeed
I know not if you sleep or feed.
How motionless! - not frozen seas
More motionless! and then
What joy awaits you, when the breeze
Hath found you out among the trees,
And calls you forth again!

-o=0=o-

BAD REPORT - GOOD MANNERS
Spike Milligan 1918-2002

My daddy said, “My son, my son,
This school report is bad.”
I said, “I did my best I did,
My dad, my dad, my dad.”

“Explain my son, my son,” he said,
“Why bottom of the class?”
“I stood aside, my dad, my dad,
To let the others pass.”

-o=0=o-

More poetry here on Thursday

=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=

No comments:

Post a Comment